PT Hourly Organizer – Hourly ($31.10/ Hour)– Multiple Positions
The UC student-workers union, UAW 2865, is a dynamic, member-driven labor union representing over 16,000 Academic Student Employees (ASEs) – Teaching Assistants, Readers, Graders, Tutors, and others – at the 9 teaching campuses of the University of California. We are currently hiring part-time campus-based organizers for the summer of 2017 and Fall Orientations 2017 to outreach to student workers and build our collective power as a union.
- Must be willing to learn how to do on-the-ground one-on-one organizing with an experienced organizer.
- Preferably have a basic understanding of union values and role on the UCSB campus and the UC system.
- Have a willingness to engage in conversations about the union with Academic Student-Workers in your own department, center, and other departments on campus.
- Ability to spend time on an hourly basis on-the-ground educating Academic Student-Workers about the union and its functions and signing up new members.
- Assist with PT summer organizer, UAW 2865 UCSB organizing committee, and UAW 2865 as needed to reach goals for membership recruitment, RA campaign, and member engagement
- Be able to assist with with RA campaign, summer organizing, and/or Fall Orientations and recruitment events for member sign up (as needed)
- Communicate with UAW 2865 UCSB organizing committee, assist with membership cards, help with surveys, and attend organizing meetings
The Ideal Candidates Will Have…
- A commitment to union democracy, member-driven organizing, social justice, anti-oppression, and social movement unionism
- A history of active membership in the UC student-workers union (UAW 2865)
- Organizing experience in democratic, social justice-oriented labor, community, student, and/or social movement organizations and campaigns
- Strong coalition-building and facilitation skills across a diverse set of organizations and constituents
- An ability to work with student workers across diverse backgrounds, disciplines, and cultures
- An ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness to respond promptly to e-mails, phone calls, and other forms of communication
Candidates who identify as people of color, working class, queer, trans, women, and/or disabled are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary and Length of Employment
This part-time hourly organizer positions will be paid at the mid-level hourly rate for ASEs across the UC system (currently $31.10/hr) with hours varying / as needed to assist with the summer campaign (summer sessions A+ B 2017) + Fall Orientation events (Fall 2017).
Instructions for Applying Interested applicants should submit a resume/CV, two references, and a one-page cover letter to the UAW 2865 UCSB hiring committee at email@example.com – applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
This information can also be found via PDF: PT Hourly Organizer – Hourly
Please direct questions and applications to firstname.lastname@example.org