UAW 2865 SB is hiring a PT organizer — see below or the attached PDF for details.
UAW 2865 Summer Part-Time Organizer Job Description
The UC student-workers union, UAW 2865, is a dynamic, member-driven labor union representing over 16,000 Academic Student Employees (ASEs) – Teaching Assistants, Readers, Graders, Tutors, and others – at the 9 teaching campuses of the University of California. We are currently hiring part-time campus-based organizers for the summer of 2017 to outreach to student workers and build our collective power as a union.
- Work with existing union members to sign up new members, have academic student employees fill out bargaining surveys, and identify and develop new leaders and stewards across all departments
- Collaborate with union members to develop a broad, representative organizing committee of worksite leaders, and help train organizing committee members to move worksite organizing campaigns
- Assist with outreach for the graduate student researcher (GSR) organizing campaign and participate in bi-weekly check-in calls for the GSR campaign
- Maintain regular contact with and provide updates on a bi-weekly basis to campus unit leadership
- Perform administrative tasks necessary for organizing, such as:
- Data entry and database tasks
- Producing campaign-related materials
- Creating regular organizer workplans
- Participating in once-weekly statewide summer organizer check-in calls to share workplans/strategies and troubleshoot organizing hurdles
- Attend one-day organizing training at start of summer (location TBA)
- Any other duties/tasks as assigned
The Ideal Candidate Will Have…
- A commitment to union democracy, member-driven organizing, social justice, anti-oppression, and social movement unionism
- A history of active membership in the UC student-workers union (UAW 2865)
- Organizing experience in democratic, social justice-oriented labor, community, student, and/or social movement organizations and campaigns
- Strong coalition-building and facilitation skills across a diverse set of organizations and constituents
- An ability to work with student workers across diverse backgrounds, disciplines, and cultures
- An ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness to respond promptly to e-mails, phone calls, and other forms of communication
Candidates who identify as people of color, working class, queer, trans, women, and/or disabled are strongly encouraged to apply.
Salary and Length of Employment
This part-time summer organizer position will be paid at the mid-level hourly rate for ASEs across the UC system (currently $31.10/hr) for up to 15 hours of work per week. The length of your employment will be from July 2, 2017- October 7, 2017.
Instructions for Applying Interested applicants should submit a resume/CV, two references, and a one-page cover letter to the UAW 2865 UCSB hiring committee at firstname.lastname@example.org by June 1, 2016 at 10:00 PM.
UAW 2865 Summer Part – PDF for Summer PT Organizing Position