On June 4th, 2014 our bargaining team and UC management reached a tentative agreement. This agreement must be ratified by membership before it goes into effect. The vote is scheduled for Thursday, 6 / 13 and Friday, 6 / 14 (see below for full times and locations). We recommend that you vote yes – after a year of bargaining and two strikes we have reached a solid agreement that provides us with critical economic gains while also making progress on important social justice issues.
What is new in the agreement?
Wages increases: 5% increase in Fall 2014, 4% in Fall 2015, 4% in Fall 2016, and 3% in Fall 2017.
Childcare: Increase from $600 to $900 per quarter per Associated Student Employee (ASE) with at least a 25% time salaried appointment. Also increases the age of eligibility from 5 yrs to 12 yrs.
Leaves: All salaried ASEs receive 6 weeks paid childbearing leave, 4 weeks paid new-parent leave, and 4 weeks paid leave due to a serious health condition of the ASE or family member (as defined by the Family Medical Leave Act). Previously, the lengths of leave were 4 weeks, 2 weeks, and 2 weeks respectively. Salaried ASEs may also take an additional two weeks unpaid leave for bonding with a newborn or adopted child.
Non-discrimination: UC must make accommodations for reasonable requests for access to all-gender restrooms. UC must also provide reasonable accommodation for lactating mothers.
Equal rights for undocumented students: Creation of an instructional opportunities committee, comprised of UAW members, UC administrators, and undocumented students to establish funding opportunities. Target implementation in Fall 2015.
Labor management meetings: A labor management committee can meet with the UC up to 2 times a year to discuss issues of concern to ASEs. The issues we discuss will include workload intensity and TA-student ratios.
What else is in the agreement (but not new)?
Below are a few highlights. This is not a complete list.
- Teaching assistants employed 25% time or higher still receive remission for tuition, the student services fee, and healthcare.
- A salaried ASE working at least 50% time receives two sick days a quarter.
- Once an appointment is offered, it cannot be rescinded. If an ASE is offered a position and that position is later canceled, management must find an equivalent appointment or otherwise compensate the ASE.
- A 50% teaching assistant should work no more than 220 hours in a quarter, 40 hours in any one week, or 8 hours in any single day.
- Protection from discrimination due to race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender expression, religion, and more. There is also protection from sexual harassment and retaliation for union activity.
Again, this is not a complete list. Please do not hesitate to contact us at email@example.com if you would like more information or have any questions.
Is there anything in our previous agreement we lost in the new one?
Where can I vote?
Set polling locations are:
Thursday & Friday, 6 / 12 and 6 / 13:
Arbor: 10:00 – 5:00
Nano (Courtyard) Café: 9:00 – 5:00
San Clemente (in front of Arrowhead): 4:30 – 7:00
GSA lounge: 11:00 – 3:00